Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

 I had already tried to upgrade from 23.10 to 24.04 about a month ago and ran into several issues (which I promptly forgot about once I reverted to 23.10, so don't ask).  Today I took the plunge and upgraded again.  I figured Ubuntu has had a month to iron out some minor issues.

So the install was relatively quick (I have a pretty good internet connection) and after the install and reboot Ubuntu came up fine.  It DID however break my wine setup, so I had to install a few components to fix it (there will probably be other issues)... it did not honor my dpkg architecture settings which indicates amd64 and i386.  I had to tweak it after the fact, but... after installing a couple extra things I was able to use wine to fire up a non-steam, Windows game.   And in fact I think there must have been some more AMD driver improvements because I swear the game actually ran smoother than on 23.10.

On steam, I fired up the frequently fickle World of Warships and it ran great.

I think it is (at least so far) safe to say the upgrade was successful.  I don't record much, I will have to install OBS and see how that works, and while I am sure it is just fine, I need to fire up some of my development applications.

A difference of one month, in this case, was pretty significant.  I am now rocking a safe, long-term version of Ubuntu.  Oh, and it is running gnome 46 as well, a minor upgrade from 23.10 which ran something like 45.x...

No comments: