Friday, March 9, 2012

Having a working Windows Key is Apple Pie

For some reason, even with the appropriate dip switches set, my HHKB Pro 2 is not sending the correct signals to represent the "Windows Key", so I have been without it for ages.  That was no big deal with Windows 7 as I really didn't miss the functionality.  But I had read that the Windows Key (from now on I'll just call it the META key) was useful for W8 shortcuts so I downloaded SharpKey and redefined what was supposed to be the meta key and told it to send the proper meta key bytes.

I can say it really does make a difference.  It can snap you in and out of various metro modes in an instant and really does make having the menu button more-or-less obsolete.  And playing with it, I've discovered features I had no seen before, like side-bar app switcher.

Anyway, my appreciation for the metro screen[s] has jumped up a notch with the functionality of the meta key.

No comments: