Monday, November 19, 2012

Crazy?

Last week I reran the Windows display/font tweaking tool at least a dozen times ... and the fonts still did not look very good.

I had two major updates late last week/over the weekend and I swear, all of a sudden my fonts are back to being gorgeously rendered on screen.  There was no mention in the updates of anything having to do with font rendering.  Am I crazy?  I think I must be.  But today my screen looks so good I just want to stare at it.

And there is an interesting thought:  Font rendering on Windows differs from Mac OS X quite a bit, and people do seem to prefer one or the other.  I wonder if that plays a role in computer selection?  Windows tends toward sharp and crisp, Mac OS X tends toward warm and fuzzy (and often more accurate in regards to scaling).  If you prefer Mac OS X style font rendering on Windows there is an open source project, gdipp, that does a decent job of bringing that style to Windows.

Personally I like both.  I appreciate Windows Crispness, and Mac OS X's softness.  I am currently more used to crisper fonts since I've been primarily a Windows user for several years now.

Enough for now!  Have a nice day!

No comments: