Sunday, May 19, 2013

Nooooo ... My HHKB Pro has died.

I love mechanical keyboards.  My favorite keyboard for awhile was the Tactile Pro.  Love the noise and the feel of mechanical keyboards, it just feels right to me.  Unfortunately I have special needs in regards to space:  My workstation is in a closet.


As you can see my Tactile Pro does not fit well in my workspace.  This was not a problem until today, when my Happy Hacker keyboard died.  The HHKB Pro 2 is a wonderful keyboard.  It is uses Topre key switches which are tactile AND quiet.  They are also absurdly expensive and I expected this keyboard to last me a looong time.  Somehow, while plugging/unplugging a dongle I broke it.  I think some component associated with the USB port broke loose; I hear something rattling around inside (the keyboard, not my head).

I cannot justify paying the crazy high amount for another HHKB so I shopped around a little and decided on a Vortex KBT Pure.  The Pure is another mechanical keyboard that uses Cherry MX Blue switches.  They are noisier than Topre switches so I also purchased Cherry red rubber o-rings to silence them.  From what I have read the Cherry MX Blue switches are the most popular Cherry switches, a good, general switch (not specifically for gaming, not specifically for typing... in the middle).

The Pure is also a backlit keyboard which is nice in my dark little closet where sometimes I need to realign my hands with the keys.  The Pure is also a 60% keyboard, which is what the HHKB was as well.  60% means more or less what you think it means, it's about 60% of the size of a regular keyboard with a minimal amount of keys which, with the help of a function key, play multiple roles.

I requested second day shipping so hopefully it will arrive by mid-week.  It's difficult typing on my Tactile pro with this orientation and you can see by the photo that my Anywhere MX mouse has very little room for maneuvering.

If anyone has experience with Vortex products, particularly the Pure, please feel free to share your thoughts. I've heard about the paint jobs on the key caps, the occasional bad LEDs, but I am more interested in how they last and perform mechanically.

Thank you!

2 comments:

Mitch said...

Coincidentally, I had been researching BACKLIT mechanical keyboards because my eyesight isn't as good as it was and it was getting harder to see my keyboard in my "office". It's weird that my keyboard would break like this... right after I purchased an LED light stuck above my HHKB to illuminate the keys.

Mitch said...

Should have the new keyboard by Wednesday. Review forthcoming.