Saturday, July 6, 2013

On being unreasonable

I asked a question today on a science site...  the background is regarding SETI and people were insulting politicians who felt spending money on SETI was wrong and that the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Whether you agree with that idea or not, calling people idiots simply because they disagree with you is ridiculous.  Out of the 5 or six men mentioned as idiots, the 2 I researched in light of those posts would be what most people would consider to be exceptionally gifted.  One began college at age 16, earned a degree with high honors and went on to get a doctorate.  Yes... must have been a total moron, that one.  The other had a similar history... bright, very hard working.

So, I mentioned that much (that the these men appear to be quite bright, actually) and also mentioned what benefits I KNOW SETI contributes (such as general mapping for places that might be interesting to focus on with better tools, and for the international effort), and then posed the simple question:  how has SETI pushed the boundaries of science and what has it contributed back to society?  These are the 3 major points I got back as an answer:

No. You just have a short attention span.
I strongly suspect you think the same thing about fusion research too.
You appear to be one of them.
"Them" is a person who demands immediate results.  The person also provided this nugget:
Given now that habitable planets in our galaxy appear to be as common as beach sand, I would think advanced governments would be willing to refund the effort with renewed vigor.
So I responded (in two posts) that first, please stop trying to fit me into your mold and second please go ahead and name all these wonderful places!  (In a much less snarky tone, honest).  The answer was:

 You know damn well I was talking from a statistical standpoint!
So I asked my original questions again, granting that he believes, statistically, there are a ton of human-habitable worlds out there (apparently... as I did make the caveat in one of my posts that I consider habitable planets ones that are capable of supporting human life).

He still has not answered the question I posed.  He has added thoughts, and drummed up other questions for me, but has not answered my direct question, which I have now asked 3 times.  I can tell you what the next response will be... he will call me a name and tell me that I am stupid.

The world and the people in it are wearing me out.

No comments: