Saturday, August 31, 2013

Quick post about Skyrim and physics...

Just a quick note...  I have suffered from odd behavior in-game over the past year where animals fly into the sky, water seems to be all around you on dry land, creatures distant from you vibrate rapidly, etc.

Turns out when I upgraded my monitor to a 120hz model, it wrought havoc on Skyrim.  Apparently Skyrim's physics engine cannot handle anything above 60hz very well and what it does is it tries to match FPS with the refresh rate.  On my old rig I saw the issues but not as bad as my newer rig... the quirks were becoming intolerable.

I recently found the solution and it works pretty well.  Someone on nexus mods posted a direct x DLL wrapper / replacement that allows you to set a hard limit to the refresh rate when the game runs.  It is noticeable when you turn quickly in-game, you can see the sequence of frames (just barely).  But otherwise it makes the game 100% better to play.

If you are suffering from the same issue, search on skyrim.nexusmods.com for FPS Limiter.  Works like a charm.

No comments: