Friday, December 27, 2013

Matias Mini Quiet Pro Keyboard

My keyboard arrived the day before Christmas.  It is pretty much the size I expected it to be, a little larger than both my old [broken] HHKB2 Pro and my KB Pure mechanical keyboards, but certainly smaller than a full-size keyboard.  My biggest issue with the size is that if I want to properly position my hands for typing I need to shift over or lose space for my mouse.   This is not an indictment against the keyboard, it's a problem with my own space.

So far I love this keyboard.  It is as quiet as advertised... very quiet for a mechanical keyboard!  Sounds just like the recording on the Matias website.  I've owned Cherry, Topre and Alps keyswitch keyboards and I can safely say that the Topre and Alps are by far preferred (by me) over the Cherry mechanics.  They just feel more natural and the stroke seems smoother.

This particular keyboard DOES have a shorter stroke than the TactilePro and the HHKB2.  I notice it but it isn't terrible or anything like that.  The feedback / pressure is firm but not tiring.  The keys themselves are well arranged and nicely shaped to prevent slippage.  The fact that it is not a compact keyboard means that there are a few more unique keys (that do not require the FN button, and have a typical placement as in a 103-104 key arrangement).  I have used the compact keyboards for years now and it is taking me some time to get used to the location of the ESC, and ~ keys.  I also like having actual arrow keys and the PG UP and PG DN keys... they are more useful than I realized.  But over time I'll get it down.

One thing I miss from my KB Pure is the backlighting... but again it shouldn't be necessary if I allow my hands to remember key positions ... I just have to be sure to start at the F-J keys.

The keyboard construction is SOLID.  It has a heavy feel to it and the shiny black case is strong and probably DOES attract fingerprints... but I work out of a dark closet so it really doesn't weigh heavily on my mind.

It is a wired USB keyboard.  That might bother some people but I believe Matias has other keyboards that are wireless, I like having them wired, it is fine for me.

There isn't much more to say.  If you have tried a TactilePro at an Apple store, or have owned one of the previous incarnations of Matias keyboards I think you will be pleased.  While there is a slight difference in stroke length for the "quiet" aspect of the keyboard, it isn't a painful reduction in stroke, and the fact that the keyboard is virtually silent (compared to other mechanical keyboards).  If you are a bottom-out typer (as I really am myself) the shorter stroke WILL be noticeable, so take that into consideration.  Also, and this really may be all in my head because I don't have any tools to measure it but, they keys seem a little firmer than my TactilePro 2.0.   Again, that is probably just a perception, perhaps because of the shorter stroke?  But it feels like you need to apply an ever so slightly firmer strike.

Well anyway, there you have it.  I am please with my purchase.  They Alps-like switches are smoother and feel more natural to me (whatever that means) and the bonus is this board is quiet.  The laser etched keys won't wear.  Also, if it is still made with the same quality as my (still working) TactilePro 2.0, it will last for many years.

No comments: