Friday, March 9, 2018

New Keyboard and still on Solus

Been sticking with Solus operating system (linux).  The version is up to 3.99, alllllmooostt 4!  It should be incremental and likely not very noticeable.  I believe snap will be a bigger part of the store and open additional possibilities to grab software from other repos.

The only other thing regarding Solus is that they do plan on shifting their UI code base from GTK+ to Qt+ at some point.  I believe the work has already begun.

Keyboard... I love mechanical keyboards!  I have been using an alps-like switch keyboard from Matias for awhile now.  The only problem is you cannot find backlit keys for these switches...  and my room is always so dark it is impossible to see the keys.  I can generally type without looking but sometimes I get shifted and then have a hard time resetting.  With a backlit keyboard that takes a half second and I am back on track.

So... I decided to purchase another Pok3r.  Normally I purchase mechanicals that have the Cherry Brown keys, but this time I decided to try something different.  I have heard a lot of good things about the Cherry RED keys that I went with that.

So far so good.  They  are quieter than the browns, and are linear (smooth stroke from start to finish, no catch to indicate activation).  They have about the same spring rating so the keys to have a bit of firmness to them which I like.  I am often a bottom out typist, even with the browns or alps, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference to me in how it has affected my typing speed (which was always abysmal anyway).

I purchased the Pok3r LE which is like the normal Pok3r but MUCH heavier and more solidly built.  Honestly I could use it as a deadly weapon it is so stiff and heavy.  The more robust packaging does cost a little extra.  Most people would probably be better off with a regular Pok3r... The LE also comes with PBT keycaps as opposed to ABS.

I don't know if most people care about the keycaps...  PBT is stiffer and heavier than ABS.  PBT also retains more color over time and does not wear as quickly.  Over time you might notice your ABS keycaps develop a shine (from your fingers smacking/rubbing them constantly).  Because PBT is heavier, it has a slightly deeper tone to it as you type (especially when you bottom out).

I BELIEVE the keycaps are also double shot and PBT for the Pok3r, which also adds to the cost.

Either way, so far it FEELS like it is worth the money and it is barely the tiniest bit louder than my matias quiet click keyboard it is replacing, and it feels pretty good to type on.

Tactile switches (like the Matias alps or Cherry browns) are generally better for typing, while linear switches are generally better for gaming.  Tactile switches often come with a sound indicator... they are called "clicky".  Cherry makes another type of switch called the Cherry Blue which is tactile AND noisy (on purpose).  This click is an audible version of the tactile part of the key press.  Many pure typists like that.

So now, at home, I am using my Cherry Red keys and at work my Cherry Browns.  In storage I have a Cherry Blue and a Matias Alp/quiet keyboard.  I like both of them, especially the Matias, and while the Cherry Blue keyboard has backlighting, the clicky sounds actually drive me a little bonkers.

That's it for now!

No comments: