Sunday, June 23, 2019

Crying over spilt coffee

Yeah so, just before we left for our vacation last week, I had sat down to do some work on my computer and dumped my just-brewed-fresh hot coffee all into my very expensive keyboard.

I am not proud of this but I did throw a FIT.  Not mad at anyone but myself.  a) I had just gotten up, b) I had just made a fresh pot of coffee and poured myself a cup, c) I dumped said coffee into my favorite (relatively new) keyboard.

I don't know if I have posted this before, but I love mechanical keyboards, especially if they are well-made.  I also have a terrible habit of spilling things into them and ruining them.  I've gone through several keyboards over the past 4 years.  This particular keyboard was my favorite, a special edition ducky that weights over a pound, has a special key switch I had to wait an extra month for, etc.

So yeah, I screamed and stomped around the house berating myself and just behaving like a rampaging two year old.  But I did have the HOPE (as I have in the past but it never worked out) that I could somehow rescue the keyboard and I grabbed a bottle of distilled water and poured it into the keyboard, turned over and drained it, and repeated the process.  Then I laid it upside down somewhere to dry.

I honestly KNEW that would not work.  But today, two weeks later I decided that before I threw it out I would plug it in and see what happens and... it came on!  And it works!  Lights are on, no glitches, keys all feel fine...  honestly I could cry.  Anyway, I am now quite pleased.  I could put my loud blue switch keyboard away and return to this smoothly performant, relatively quiet mechanical keyboard that has plenty of back pressure but not enough to over tire your fingers and it is also good for gaming.

So yeah.

OH!  Also, I pre-ordered the blue-ray of Godzilla: King of the Monsters from Amazon.  Yay!

No comments: