Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Visiting relatives and vitriol

My mother and Aunt are visiting...

It is nice to see them. The kids barely remember my mother, and definitely do not remember my aunt. They are only here for a couple of days but any time is good.

I find myself on another site arguing politics, religion and other topics that end up doing nothing but causing gastrointestinal cramping for all involved.

It got me to thinking about a basic premise voiced by the Apostle John and rehashed by our mothers when we were children: if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

It is good advice. I understand that sometimes things must be said that do not evoke happy thoughts and visions of fairies dancing in the sky, but in general, why say anything that spreads ill-will and negative feelings?

It is unavoidable of course, since we all have a tough time with policing our thoughts in conjunction with that idealistic, intrinsic right to "freedom of speech" which most people interpret as a license to spill vitriol.

Here is to hoping you have a wonderful day full of positive thoughts, or at least positive words.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: