Thursday, August 9, 2012

Going Metro

I've decided to move one more step closer to adopting Windows 8.  I've been using it since February, of course, but today I created a new outlook.com account and created a new local account synced to it.  In the past this has not worked well with my existing live.com account, but I decided it had been awhile since I tried so I would try again, this time from scratch.

I created my new outlook.com account and created a new local account mapped to my outlook.com account.  Not only did it go smoothly this time but I have access to all the account, music and other data that was lacking before.  Another bonus is better exchange support.  I was able to sync up with work as well and now I have my metro calendar and email apps completely in tune with my work accounts as well as my other accounts (google and such).

I still haven't tried plugging my phone in yet.  I hesitate because I was so pleased with the results thus far I was afraid I would ruin the "high".

But while I still have standard desktop apps, I am making an effort to use the metro apps exclusively for calendar, address book, email and social connections.  As many people have espoused on the internet, it feels a little awkward shifting from desktop to metro and back again, but I think, as with the lost start menu, it is something I will adapt to quickly.  Given a few weeks I am confident it will become second nature and I won't feel the need to use the desktop equivalents.  One thing I will need to do is master the keyboard shortcuts.  Alt+tab works well enough, but I think there must be a better way to shift between Explorer and Metro apps.  Maybe I should have bought a touch screen.  But only time will tell.

No comments: