Friday, August 17, 2012

YAW8 Post

Just an update of my Windows 8 status.

I've installed the (3 month limited) full enterprise version of Windows 8.  It looks great!  Not that looks are all THAT important, but the explorer changes from the preview versions are significant enough to make it all feel tied together.

Without any manual modifications (ie. scheduler bug) I have not had any significant issues so far (only been a couple of days).  I've become familiar with a number of keyboard shortcuts now and switching back and forth between the desktop and metro apps has become easy.  (Win+Tab is your friend).  The final versions of the basic metro apps are sufficient to meet my needs, but could have some more customization options.  For example you can't set email to mark a message read "instantly" upon being clicked.  But eh, that's no show-stopper.

Some MINOR issues with mail regarding exchange, but I have a feeling they will be worked out in future patch releases.

Other than that major bug fix and the prettier, final interface (oh, did I mention the improved metro tiles?), not too much more to report.

The biggest drawback of me running this version is that when the commercial release becomes available I will have to do a complete, fresh install.  But I have been doing that since February so, not a big deal.

OH!  One other thing, I do believe they have improved IE10's basic compatibility.  There are several websites I go to that did not work well with IE, but now seem to be just fine.  There are still some issues with some other sites and applications, but overall, it seems to have been improved.

That's it, for now...

No comments: