Saturday, October 1, 2016

Why I am Conservative, Part 1

I am growing weary of being identified as sexist, misogynist, racist, etc. by people who identify themselves as "liberal", so I have decided to hobble together a few posts explaining WHY I am conservative, what it means and what it does NOT mean.  I will start with some caveats:  being conservative does NOT have anything to do with political party affiliation.  While I do more frequently vote for either Libertarian or Republican party affiliated candidates for political office, I have to state that I believe many in ALL Parties to be corrupt and self-serving, or at the very least, misguided.  I also want to state that I have liberal friends who while I do not always agree with them, are WONDERFUL, KIND people who have HUGE hearts, they have just bought into lies or haven't thought long enough or hard enough about some of the things they believe; they simply want to shower "love" on everyone.    I am hoping the reasons for the aforementioned will become clear as I write.

I will address certain issues that are important to me, and I believe should be important to everyone, starting with abortion.  If you are, or know an embryologist or a biologist who is knowledgeable in regards to the human reproductive cycle, I am hoping you agree with my lay-person statements, but if not, feel free to correct me.

A human is created at the moment of conception, that is, when a male reproductive cell binds with a female reproductive cell.  At that moment, a cell of unique and complete set of DNA is created, and that cell IMMEDIATELY begins partitioning itself to build the human body infrastructure.  This means that at the moment of conception, the road map to build a human body is in place and being acted on.  To simplify, we have a human being.  That blob of cells may not have all the organs, or may not be capable of feeling or thinking, it IS in the process of building itself so that it CAN have those things.  This tiny unformed mass of cells is fully dependent on the mother to be NURTURED AND PROTECTED.  That is what the female organs are for.  Perhaps it is an undue burden placed on the mother, I can't say, but it is the way we are created, we as humans are split into two sexes, male and female, with combined effort we can create other humans.  I see the female role as an honor and her duty.  I also believe as co-creator, the male should share in that duty but if that is not possible for some reason (death, forced separation, etc.), it must fall upon the woman (and perhaps her family or friends) to take up that mantle, to care for herself and her child.

This life form is completely innocent, hasn't had a bad thought, hasn't done a single bad thing. Choosing to terminate such an innocent and dependent life is murder.  People (our court system for example) have sought to place a definition on when a mass of cells becomes human but their definition is completely arbitrary and very flawed.  Their ideas are based on capacity or size, not on the obvious fact that at ANY time during its development, the embryo is human.

Some people will say "well it isn't VIABLE outside the mother" but very often people outside of the mother become ill or grow old and they too cannot care for themselves, or are not viable without assistance.  Using that reasoning, we should be able to terminate any life that falls into that category, at any time.

Some people will say "well the embryo is not capable of critical thinking, or cannot feel or..." again, to be honest, that is a bogus argument.  What about autistic children, or children who suffer from a rare disease where they cannot physically feel even after they are born?  For that matter, the human brain is not even fully grown until the person is in their mid-twenties (it may be higher now) and don't have the same self-awareness or capacity to understand the world around them like someone who is 40 or older.  So should we be allowed to kill them as well?  Toddlers... if anyone has watched their babies grow up, know that toddlers are pretty self-absorbed and lack social skills, which they again depend on their parents and other people around them to learn and implement those skills.

Most conservatives embrace these thoughts but instead of being lauded as cherishing human life, they are insulted and painted as sexist, or of supporting rape culture or some other horrid thing.  Part of that "basket of deplorables."

1 comment:

Mitch said...

As a follow up, there ARE many liberals who are pro-life. I should have mentioned that. But very often they remain silent or their views are ridiculed by other liberals. I should also mention that I am very pro-life in other ways that other conservatives would disagree on. I am pretty much anti-war and anti-death penalty, but I do understand the arguments people hold in favor of punishing other people who take lives, or threaten death upon whole States (countries) or people who hold (or do NOT hold) certain belief systems.