Friday, October 5, 2018

Gaming on Linux

I stayed home yesterday, feeling sick, and today I went to work but had to leave early.  So now I am on my computer and was thinking about gaming on Linux-based operating systems.

There are a good number of native, linux-based games that have been produced over the years; but most people think of gaming as something else:  PC and Console games.

When I use PC, I mean a personal computer running Windows 7, 8 or 10.  Let's face it, the vast quantity of games are produced specifically with Windows in mind, and windows users play them.

Some linux users will dual boot Windows and Linux specifically for that reason.  I am not much of a "dual booter" and prefer to dedicate my hardware to one OS.  Because of that I do not have ready access to a large chunk of my Steam library, or a bunch of the games I own on CD that were meant for Windows (and a few for the Mac).

For mainstream gaming the options are few.  You can try to run them through WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) which ties windows libraries to native functions, allowing Windows games to play on linux.  This works well for some games, but not for all.  The other option is when a game developer actually releases a version built to run on linux.  Because the linux user base is minimal in comparison to Windows users, game companies focus on where they can achieve the biggest bang for their buck.

I do both.  I run games through WINE and native, I even run some STEAM games in WINE and some native.   The games I am able to get working through WINE run well, some games used to work and have stopped working with updates, which is sad.  It is possible they will work again some day.  Some games, however, are nigh on impossible to get working in this manner.  Anyway, here is a short list of games I am able to play on linux:

Vampire the Masquerade:  Bloodlines
Portal 2
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 2
Cities:  Skyliness
Saints Row IV
Civilization V
Civilization VI (with some issues)
Tomb Raider
Torchlight
Torchlight II
Skyrim
Bejeweled

...and a number of others...  That was just a sampling of the ones I actually play from time to time, there are many more in my library.

I look forward to the day when more game developers pay consideration to linux-based operating systems as a viable and worthy platform.  Linux has a lot to offer, and many people have this view of linux like it is a scary, command-line-driven monster.

Not the case... people need to give it a shot!  They may find they not only like it, but prefer it.



No comments: