Saturday, October 27, 2018

Pop goes the weasel!

So in my efforts to try out many distributions of linux to find that "perfect" one for me...  (so far I have a few favorites:  Solus, Manjaro and MX Linux), I have installed Pop! OS.

Pop! is the Ubuntu based spin created by System76.  The same group I am waiting patiently to announce their next-gen ARM systems... very excited about that!  Pop! is supposed to be a "better Ubuntu" in the sense that they have listened closely to their customers and have woven their suggestions into the OS.

So my impression so far is mixed.  It is actually pretty snappy, and it is a nice implementation of standard Gnome, but it doesn't encourage modifications (and was not meant to) as readily as other distros do.  But you CAN, you just need to poke around a little and figure it out.

I did not like the default fonts and changed them.  Also, the one thing that drew me to Pop! was a line in the release notes stating they did some work to help eliminate any UI / video freezes in this release.  Well, within an hour of using it, my computer froze and had to be rebooted (while playing a game).  But to be fair, I had not done any updates, so I did apply updates after that and the freeze has not yet recurred.  So we shall see.

It has a good implementation of Steam, and lots of useful apps in the app store.  The command line (apt) works well too.

Too early for me to really say, but it is a decent system, I just need to work it out for a few days.

No comments: