Monday, November 26, 2018

Still on Pop!_os...

Honestly, I am surprised myself!

Pop!_os is looked at by many as an Ubuntu re-spin.  I think it really does offer some significant tweaks over Ubuntu to customize the look and feel and workflow a little, yet it still offers the ability to customize Gnome to be more how you prefer it.

The color scheme[s] are good, and are attractive without being distracting.

For the most part, 99% of the time, it just works.  I HAVE had a number of the infamous "video system freezes".  Those are the mysterious freezes that occur while watching some video or even playing very old games in Wine.  Has SOMETHING to do with the video aspect of the system.  I had thought it was perhaps the scheduler used in the linux kernel.  Still might be.  Don't know for sure.

It is frustrating when it happens but... I still am not sure what triggers it.  It could be during times of low CPU or Memory usage, and sometimes during high memory or CPU usage.  Doesn't seem consistent.

I thought about building a different kernel but, I've read that System76 has modified the kernel a little... so not sure I want to mess with that.

Recently I have downloaded Antergos, Namib, Sabayon and Gentoo and am considering messing with those.  But ... I hesitate because Pop! has been pretty nice to work with and I have had no issues (except the aforementioned) with it at all... it updates seamlessly, has all the apps I need on it, I have the latest version of Steam running on it and the games I have chosen to play so far work great...  I have PlayOnLinux up and running with one game I like on it, need to get Diablo installed though and that is always a challenge.

Anyway, I can heartily recommend Pop!_os as your daily driver because it has snuck up on me as far as the amount of time I have been using it, and have been CONTENT with it.  That's the key...  I have distro-hopped a lot, but since I have been using Pop! I have not had the urge to do so as much.

Well, good night!  I'll update soon.

No comments: