Friday, November 30, 2018

Continuing with Pop!_os

So the other day I wanted to try the latest release of Manjaro Gnome (18.0) so I did a backup of my home directory/sub-directories and installed Manjaro.

I am familiar with Manjaro albeit the XFCE version.  It was my OS prior to going to Pop!  It installed easily and I fired it right up and began configuring the things I use most frequently.  But honestly?  While there are some aspects of the implementation of Gnome I missed, it didn't really offer any better performance or features compared to Pop!  So today I wiped it and reverted to Pop!_os, restored my backups (or at least part of them, game saves mostly since I already store my major folders on other disks) and then went a little overboard.

Well, not REALLY overboard but, I decided I wanted to try and update the kernel.  This felt risky since I believe System76 does some kernel tweaking, but I figured why not?  So I installed uvuu, selected the latest linux kernel and clicked install (and also had the grub configuration rewritten).  When it completed (without error) it told me to reboot.  I did, and well... in all honesty I thought it would fail miserably and I would have to reinstall Pop!_os but... it worked!  I am now running (per uname -rsv) Linux 4.19.5-041905-generic #201811271131 SMP Tue Nov 27 16:33:46 UTC 2018.

It has the module[s] for Nvidia drivers, my network seems to be fine, and I could almost swear memory usage is down on average, at least from what I remember from HTOP over the previous weeks.  But without recorded data that is hearsay.

I will have to play around with it for a week to see how it really does.  But so far so good.

No comments: