Wednesday, January 15, 2020

My 2020 Build

I had originally planned on a new build mid-2019, but due to vacations, and other things that seemed like a very bad idea, money-wise.

Every couple of years I build out a new PC.  Usually that PC has all-new, better hardware but this year I am backing off that just a little because, well, I've always wanted a thread ripper and the Gen 1 thread rippers are are dirt cheap now.

I plan on dual booting Windows 10 and Linux, probably going to stick with Elementary OS for now.  I've gotten used to it and learned a few tricks to configure the things you want, even if they are not available in the store.

By the weekend all of the components will have arrived and I should be able to begin building.  It is possible one component may not arrive until Monday, so I may have to postpone it a little.

Without further ado:

Item                             What it is
-------------------------------  -----------------
Thermaltake V21 Cube             Computer case

Corsair RM850x                   Power Supply
ASRock X399M Taichi              Socket TR4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X     12 Core/24 Thread CPU
G.Skill Ripjaw V, 32GB           RAM (Memory)
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super  Graphics Card
Intel 660P 1 TB                  M.2 SSD
Crucial MX500 2 TB               SATA SSD
Noctua NS-U14S                   CPU Cooler
Noctua 140MM Fan                 Extra Case Fan
Seagate Barracude 2 TB           Hard drive



...and that is it.  I will also carry over my other 2 hard drives since they already have all my data on them, no sense in copying when I can just pull the drives.  I will leave the current system and m.2 drives in the old PC, it will still be 100% usable.

No comments: