Saturday, January 18, 2020

2020 PC Build...

Done deal.  All the parts arrived by today, and I went ahead and built out my latest PC.  Parts of it are modern, parts are one or two generations old.  But I am hoping it will amaze me.  So far so good, the build went well and I am using it to write this post.  Without further ado...


In case you cannot read it, I installed elementary OS 5.1 Hera.  I also updated the kernel to use liquorix (an optimized kernel)... but that's all the fluff.  The hardware is as follows:

Thermaltake core V21 case.
Corsair RM850x Gold Power Supply.
32 GB of G.Skill DDR4 RAM.
ASRock Motherboard (TR4).
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920x (12 cores, 24 threads @ 3.50)
NVidia RTX 2060 SUPER.

That's the gist of it... couple of SSDs and some old-fashioned mechanical drives as well.

So far so good!  I could not, however, get Windows to install.  Installer hung.  I think it is because I am using one of the very first released CDs of Windows 10.  I will probably have to download and burn a Windows image and try that.

I do want Windows as Linux always performs well, but I am anxious to see how my games perform with this new build.  Granted, threadrippers are not meant to be "gaming" CPUs per se... but they have good single core performance and of course any games that can use multi core will flourish.  What  am anxious to see is how my 2060 SUPER performs.  Supposed to be at least 10% faster than my 1080 GTX I had.  We shall see...

No comments: