Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The difference between an everyday use monitor and a gaming monitor...

So I went 1440p awhile back.  I purchased an inexpensive Samsung monitor that supposedly had 5ms gtg.  Sounded pretty good to me.

When I hopped into one of my staple games, I immediately noticed the "skippiness" of the game play.  Hiccups, stutters, etc.  I assumed it was the fact that I was playing 1440p not 1080p that was causing the issue, that my graphics card just could not handle it.

WOW.

I had been thinking about it for awhile but everywhere I read said that my previous (and my very new) graphics card can handle 1440p flawlessly if not effortlessly.

Last week I pulled the trigger on a new 1440p monitor, an HP 27xq, which was rated as a decent gaming monitor.  1ms gtg, freesync, etc.

Got it today, plugged it in and even though I have not yet figured out how to get it to > 60 refresh rate, when I play my "staple" game mentioned at the beginning of this post, it was FLAWLESSLY SMOOTH!!  I have been torturing myself for over a year for no good reason.

Listen, if you are thinking of buying a 1440p monitor, please do not skimp.  Go for a gaming monitor if you game.  It was literally night and day.

Now I just need to find a happy medium with its settings.  The blacks are black but the whites are nigh on blinding me.  Even so, small price to play for getting back the fun in gaming with no stuttering and skipping.

That is all.

No comments: