Saturday, June 17, 2023

Change up! Playing with Debian 12

 Mint has been serving me well, of course.  But recently I saw a number of videos singing the praises of Debian 12.  It was "the best version of Debian, ever."

So of course I had to try it.


After several false starts and re-installs, I got it down.  Yeah, the latest version of Debian has a pretty good installer and it now has opened up NON-FREE repos.  AND the even included Nvida drivers!  W00t!1!!

Unfortunately the driver install fails if you try it out of the box because those non-free repos have to be manually added.  AND, if you do not add them while disabling their FREE counterpart it won't work.

I found instructions on the internet but they were mostly wrong, so I went back to the instructions from Debian and did what THEY said, then when I got the error I went to the internet, found one person who stated it plainly what needed to be done, did it, worked.

So now I have my Nvidia drivers!  Next I installed Steam from the repos.  BZZZZT!  It did not work as expected, so I installed flatpak, and in flatpak I installed Steam.  With a little hiccup of having to add access to the non-system disk where I keep my libraries, it worked well.

Finally, I needed to risk having to re-install yet another time :D  so I installed the LTS version of the XANMOD kernel (v3 for my threadripper first gen).  I expected some sort of massive failure but lo and behold (as you can see in the screenshot) it worked!  First try!

So I am running Debian 12.  And, I have to say it is pretty darn good!  I am wondering at this point are Ubuntu-based distros even needed when you can go to the source of Ubuntu, Debian.  I am also wondering how this will change Linux Mint and Ubuntu.

One final note, I went with the GNOME version since I have heard a lot of good reviews of the latest version[s] of gnome, regarding performance and stability.  I did do the "dash to dock" tweak, but other than that it has been solid.  And I do believe it really is pretty performant.  

I have to say though, if Linux Mint LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is updated to Debian 12, I just might go back.

No comments: