Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Apple Wireless Keyboard

My Apple Wireless Keyboard has arrived.

After being forced to relinquish my $150 Tactile Pro 2.0 keyboard because my rapid-fire key clicking was keeping my wife up at night, I settled on one of the new aluminum USB keyboards (the one that came with my 24" iMac). The keyboard itself was not bad, but it was too long for my tiny workspace.

My workspace consists of a small area carved out of our walk-in closet. I have had it wired (and recently re-wired on its own circuit due to a power hungry laser printer) and build a small surface for junk, and added a keyboard drawer underneath that. The total width of the space is 30 inches, the width of the keyboard drawer/surface is 26 inches. With a mousepad and a keyboard next to each other the mouse pad actually had to hang over the edge, and the keyboard was shifted over to once side (although the major keys were more or less directly in front of me). This lack of space prompted me to think smaller.

I ordered my new keyboard about a week ago with some trepidation. I was already having a hard time adjusting to the new USB aluminum keyboard, and this one would be smaller and missing many keys. My keyboard arrived in short order and I marveled at how small it was as I unpacked it. I held it up next to my wife's macbook, it was the same exact layout.

I did the usual, simple bluetooth configuration and was using my new keyboard in no time at all.

So far I am pleased. The keys, while not as firm and feedback full as my Tactile Pro keys, are sufficiently substantial to be pleasing to use. The angle of the wireless keyboard is ever-so-slightly higher than the USB model and it feels better to me - especially since my keyboard sits higher than it should.

I have found that I do not miss all the extra keys. I guess I rarely used the keypad and the home/end/page up/page down keys and can compensate with the mouse. I am now completely wireless, running an Apple wireless mouse alongside the keyboard. It is nice to have fewer cables winding about.

The keyboard is responsive and Apple claims 6 months of use on a set of (3) batteries under typical usage. I do not turn my mouse or keyboard off, so it will be interesting to see how long it really lasts.

I would have to say that Apple has once again hit the nail on the head with this keyboard.

No comments: