Friday, June 13, 2014

Day 3

Still having up and down waves of emotion.  I imagine this will continue for some time.  My brother likened it to a death, being with people for so long then suddenly cut off.

Today wasn't a bad day tho'.  My manager had some more kind words for me today and asked me to not "check out" for the remainder of my time there because he needed me.  I wouldn't do that of course.

I was also contacted by and spoke with a recruiter today and they would like to meet me in person on Monday.  I think it might be too soon for that and I also am not sure I am right for the job, but I really do need to get "out there" and meet with people, have interviews and get back into the world of job hunting.  So we are meeting and I am actually looking forward to it.  I don't think they will want me (am I being too negative, too pessimistic?) but I am grateful they want to speak with me just the same!

On not being ready...  the potential position requires a leadership mindset.  I have not been a "leader" for the past nine years.  I forget what it feels like.  There was a time when I led but when I moved here, I was literally told that my role would be more or less subservient to leadership roles, and that is where I've been.  So now I need to be prepared to change gears and show that I have the "oomph" and drive to BE a leader, but at the moment I am feeling (sorry for sharing feelings) sort of vulnerable and less certain of myself than I normally would.  I think this too will change with time, but again I wonder, "am I ready?"

Well, we shall find out!  :)


2 comments:

Eric said...

Just do it. You never know where it might lead you. If you have an ounce of good feeling about it, jump at it. Take on every interview that comes your way, do it for fun. Get behind yourself on every decision of which you make.

Mitch said...

Thanks! I just now saw this comment. Been there 4 months now and have finally gotten to feel like I've found a good place. The first month or so was ROUGH. All new environment, all new people, all new technology (well, new code base and combinations of technology). But I survived after balking at my first sprint and now I am getting an acceptable amount of work done and feeling alright about it. :)