Friday, June 13, 2014

Why I am conservative

In reality I am probably not a perfect conservative and because of my libertarian leanings I might even be considered liberal in some ways.  But there are reasons why I identify as conservative.

There is the idea "out there" that liberals are better at wanting to take care of the "little guy" that they care more about people in need than do conservatives.  In reality liberalism (and I am sure you have heard this point of view before) distances people from those in need.  Liberalism asserts that higher taxes that implement a plethora of programs to provide specific services to people in need is the right thing to do; they redistribute wealth among the masses.  The government becomes the (again, I am sure you have heard this before) "nanny," taking care of people who lack work, health insurance, etc.

But how does this help the individual who backs this point of view?  Basically what is happening is the person paying taxes is shirking his or her duty to their fellow man, by isolating themselves from being responsible for directly caring for them.  In other words, "here, take my money and do with it as you see fit and I will go on with my current life."

Conservatism does not take that route.  If you are conservative, you don't WANT the government taking care of these things and SHOULD understand that it is up to the individual to offer food, money, clothing, etc. to the people who need it.  It demands that the conservative individual be aware of and involved in the state of people who are less fortunate than they are.

I do understand that it does not always work that way, but that is the theory behind it.  Conservatives don't believe it is "every man for himself" and "raise yourself on the backs of others"... they believe in being fiscally responsible so they are not a burden to anyone else and where possible to share their OWN assets, whether that be time or money or goods, to assist those in need.

One person at a time may not make a huge difference, but many people can.  Churches, activist groups, etc. who believe this can help many people, and the more that follow this ideal conservative mindset and act upon it increase this potential.  This is personal.  It's up close and personal.  It allows for peoples lives to be touched, both the giver and the receiver.

This is one of the reasons conservatives are also often Christian, as our example was Jesus who healed, fed and simply interacted with people who were downtrodden, poor, hungry, ill, etc.  There were times when Jesus made a special effort to physically touch people who were "unclean" (any respectable rabbi would have nothing to do with them) because, well, they needed to be touched, to know human contact and compassion.

Following the "take from the rich, give to the poor" model, unless it is specifically by a small band of merry men from the forest, does not offer this physical, emotional or personal contact.  If I have to make an effort to save and then give my earnings to someone in need, if I volunteer to work at a soup kitchen or hand out water, I am personally involved.  My heart has to be touched.  If I just go about my business and don't even consider the fact that money is taken from me before I even see it, I have no stake in the state of the people it may or may not go to help.  And the people who receive it get what?  Money?  No validation of their humanity, just money.

Anyway, I ramble a little, I apologize.  This is why I am conservative.

No comments: