Tuesday, June 3, 2014

On Godzilla and Drivers

Saw the Godzilla movie and it was worth seeing, as I mentioned in a previous post.  I think I will invest in the DVD when it is available and sit and watch it on the privacy of my computer... so I can stop and analyze each scene.    :)    I do want to go back and be able to compare elements of the movie with previous movies, especially the original which this really does hearken back to.

Onto drivers.

Not the automobile kind of drivers, but the computer type, more specifically graphics drivers.  Most specifically the latest AMD video driver, 14.6.

I have been gleefully installing their drivers as they come out to take full advantage of my R9 270x graphic cards and/or my A10-7850K.  This time I had problems from the start.

I performed the recommended uninstall of previous drivers followed by the install of the new driver[s].  The installation did not go smoothly, computer even crashed once.  Started over again and the second time it went through.

I noticed weird things after that... including not being able to reboot or sleep my computer and have it waken properly.  On reboot (not hard shutdown) my desktop would never come back, tho' the mouse was clearly visible.  Similar issues befell sleep, tho' I have forgotten what they were (other issues blur the memory) as I have had graphical freezes, video driver stop/restarts, the black screen on reboot, etc.

I finally gave up and rolled back to 14.4 and all is once again sailing along smoothly.

So, it might have just been me, but be wary of the 14.6 AMD video driver.  I think I will wait for the next version before attempting to upgrade again.

No comments: