Thursday, June 21, 2018

Back to Solus

So I had mentioned in my previous post that I was back on linux.  My reason for LEAVING linux was actually quite sudden:  it stopped working.

Ha!  When I say it like that it sounds like linux has a problem but it did not, I did.  In an effort to always improve performance with my motherboard/CPU combination, I upgraded my BIOS to the most recent rev.  As soon as I did that linux started crashing on boot.

Now, I realized it was my BIOS update that caused the issue, and I tried to figure out what to do with it, including backing out to an older version of the BIOS... but then I would be losing performance enhancements that were specifically made for the CPU I am running.

So instead of losing that I went to Windows.  Heh, unfortunately for me, around the same time I became very disappointed in the frequency the bad capacitor in my monitor caused it to start flashing on and off.  So... I bought a new monitor.

Thing is, this new monitor looked HORRIBLE with Windows 10 font rendering.  The only thing that would fix it was to install an obscure program written in China (with much of the text not translated) that enabled Mac OS X-like font rendering on Windows.  But even that did not apply across all applications.

Sooooooo...  I worked HARDER to figure out why linux would not boot and found a flag I could set in my BIOS that enabled linux to continue past that crash-point during boot.  And here I am back on Solus, which is really the best distro of linux out there.  :)  Yeah I am biased I guess.  And oh... my fonts render beautifully, thank you very much.

PS - When I was troubleshooting the font rendering I first went to Samsung, they told me it was Windows problem.  I went to Windows and opened a case, they told me it was Samsung's problem... so yeah...

No comments: