Friday, September 8, 2023

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed part 3

 So I am having trouble putting my finger on WHY I like OpenSUSE.  I want to start with potential problems first:

1) dependency hell
    There have been issues when installing software (previous install)
    where I had to try to repair the dependencies
2) Printer support is a flipping mystery.  Only one of my printers is even SEEN...

Aside from that I don't have many complaints.

Why do I like it then?

1) I have never met a version of KDE that I liked prior to this.
    It is smooth, flawless, no issues.  The KDE app suite is also good.
2) While I prefer to use zypper, YaST seems to be competent.
3) Performance is good!

I know, no hard numbers to back things up regarding performance.

With Mint and other linux distros I tend to install kernels like xanmod or liquorice.  But I haven't had the urge to do that with OpenSUSE, perhaps partly because I am afraid to, or perhaps because the KDE UI is actually quite snappy and responsive, and when I game there doesn't seem to be any reason to NEED a performance kernel.

Anyway, I am enjoying OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, let's see how long that lasts.

No comments: