Monday, September 18, 2023

openSUSE Tumbleweed Part 6

 Still using OST 6.  Even though a lot of people recommend AGAINST it, and I do understand why, I have frozen the last kernel that works well with my NVidia drivers that are currently installed (470.x.x).  Each successive upgrade with a new kernel BREAKS my NVidia drivers and it kind of drives me a little nuts that it happens.  So I froze the kernel so even with the latest updates to the OS in general, I am sticking to an older kernel.

So long as I do that, I can continue to enjoy openSUSE.  I know that if I want to move on I will have to uninstall my drivers and update to a more recent driver, but the most recent driver(s) cause all kinds of artifacts to dump across my screen at random and that is super irritating.  Also, when I update the driver it cascades through my gaming set up and I have to rejigger everything.

If it comes to a point where I simply cannot keep the older kernel (and to be sure, it isn't an OLD kernel, it is a 6-series kernel) I will do what I will probably end up doing anyway, which is to switch to Linux Mint DE 6.

But I have honestly come to love KDE 5.27.  I think I had said in another post that for the longest time I could not stand KDE, for a variety of reasons (like font rendering, glitchy behavior, TOO configurable - right, I know that is silly), etc.  But with openSUSE KDE has been a dream.  I am absolutely loving it.

Anyway, STILL on openSUSE and will likely stay here until I simply can't any longer.  It has been (except for the drivers/kernel issue) rock solid.

I TRIED the latest version of MX with KDE, because I do have a lot of faith in Debian 12, but MX was actually not as solid, nor was it as easy to get configured for gaming, which seemed odd to me.  There is also another KDE gaming distro out there that I downloaded and might try if openSUSE tanks for me, but honestly I also do like Mint, so I will likely go there.

Well, enough rambling.  I still think if you are NOT using NVidia, openSUSE KDE is probably an excellent choice for you.  Try it out.  Just remember that Tumbleweed updates frequently, and not little updates, updates with a capital "U".  You can be confident you are getting cutting edge versions of software (and pretty recent kernels) if you don't mind your graphics driver getting hosed constantly.

No comments: