Friday, May 2, 2008

Does anyone remember SweetMail?

GyazMail is my primary email application on OS X.  But from time to time I find myself mysteriously drawn back to an old email application:  SweetMail.

SweetMail was a very good email application from the OS 8 and 9 days.  When Apple went to OS X, the developer of SweetMail did his best to provide us a Carbon/Mach-O version before he dropped off the face of the Earth.  This was several years ago.  Guess what?  SweetMail STILL WORKS.  I am running it right now on Leopard.  It has not been updated in years, lacks features that it sorely needs (IMAP for one) and of course uses the old Carbonized widgets.  But it still sends/receives email and does a good job in organizing your messages for you.

The thing I liked most about it, and what I miss in email applications today, is that the interface is broken into objects.  Each mailbox is its own window, each message its own, etc.  Many people would complain that it causes clutter, but I enjoy it and I work in that manner anyway, always having many many applications and windows open at the same time.

SweetMail is quick.  It's connections and processing of messages are no-nonsense, fast.  It does not really do HTML mail (it recognizes HTML, but makes you open it in another application), but I like that too, I prefer to send and receive email in plain text format.  It also recognizes links and other bits of information in mail messages and highlights or acts upon them according to their meaning.  For example, URLs are clickable.

I am running version 2.2r6, if you can find it anywhere, it is worth downloading and taking for a spin.  To minimize the font shock on your eyes, I recommend installing Silk, a haxie from Unsanity.  That's all for now!  Have a wonderful evening!

No comments: