Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Firefox 3.0

I have had trouble lately becoming attached to any one browser. I think Firefox 3.0 might be the cure.

My usual browser, one I bought and have used for 5 years now, is OmniWeb. Great browser, great functionality but lately there have been all sorts of minor issues that seem to plague the software.

Camino is another good browser, very simple, clean and the trunk builds use the latest mozilla rendering engine. There is also Safari. Safari is nice, it too is simple and it still has a few quirks that you need to get used to (for example, the latest Yahoo mail works with it, but sometimes complains about it, also deviantArt works best with a mozilla product).

Another browser I like a great deal is Flock. Flock is basically Firefox with predetermined add-ons. It is a "social browsing" focused application. It is very useful. But... the current version is still based on Firefox 2.0 with all the lovely memory leaks associated with it, and odd font rendering issues. There ARE trunk builds based on Firefox 3.0 but they are still a bit buggy. While I was browsing around with the alpha version of Flock the other day I thought, "HUH! Why not Firefox 3.0?" So, I downloaded Firefox 3.0 (Beta now) and began the process of customization.

Firefox 3.0 by itself is a good browser. The latest version of the ghecko rendering engine is fantastic. It is faster than ever, and very easy on memory. It also fixes all the weird font rendering issues suffered by the previous version.

I wanted something that would have SOME of the cool functionality of Flock as well as some other cool gadgets (I mean extensions) that I have found quite useful. These are the extensions that I use:

CustomizeGoogle
ScribeFire
DownloadHelper
Hyperwords
Interclue
ScrapBook
Shareaholic
Web Developer

These are GREAT plugins. They are fairly streamlined, quick and so very very useful. With these plugins I often can do all sorts of research and other "work" just in Firefox alone, without hopping about from application to application or having to have 8 tabs open in the browser. Good stuff.

If you are looking for a browser, I think you might want to download the latest Beta version of Firefox 3.0. I think Firefox has once again stepped up to the plate and is ready do battle with any other browser available.

No comments: