Wednesday, November 5, 2008

And so it begins!

After spending hours watching the returns pour from all the states last night I can safely say that the end of the election was the best part. I am referring to the concession and victory speeches. Could they have been more different? Yet both were moving.

John McCain gave the most powerful and gracious speech I have ever heard from any presidential candidate. He is a good loser. If he had spoken like that during the presidential race I have no doubt the outcome would have been different. I can only hope that his followers and all the people of this great nation listened well to his speech and adopt his stance to work WITH the new president.

Barack Obama, our president elect, gave a different sort of speech. Mr. Obama is not an emotional man and the tone of his speech reflected the seriousness that I have come to admire throughout his campaign. What I particularly liked about his speech, and what first turned me on to him during the race, was his call to all Americans to start BEING true Americans, for individuals and churches and organizations to start reaching out and helping one another. I believe this is the ONLY way we can move on and regain our stature and hope. Barack knows this, he wants US to drive the change, not him. This insight is what drew me to him like a moth to the fire.

No comments: