Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Disappointment in the rest of the world...

During the election I jumped from channel to channel, mostly CNN and BBC.

I was very disappointed that every other sentence out of the mouths of everyone reporting on BBC was how "America elected an African American into the White House." On CNN, CBS, etc. that was maybe mentioned twice the entire night. Why is it that the rest of the world is apparently obsessed with the color of our President elect's skin?

Look, America is a MELTING POT. We have always been proud of this fact even though it was a long and painful struggle to enable the same rights for everyone. I honestly don't care, and I don't really think the vast majority of Americans care, that Obama has dark skin. Don't get me wrong, I understand this is HUGE for African Americans, and that there are people who carry prejudice with them. But honestly, I think the reason more people voted for Obama is because he is calm, stately, and very intelligent. He is an intellectual with good organization skills and while he is rather stoic, he is also charismatic. People chose Obama because they really do believe he will have the skills necessary to help us "fix" our country.

So to the rest of the world, please don't view this as election as the end to prejudice in our country, but to the fact that we can still come up with a good candidate and have the sense to elect him or her as the POTUS.

1 comment:

Girl Khan said...

Hey! Thanks for the lovely comments on my blog. Really appreciate them.

Totally agree with you about this obsession with the color of the man's skin. On the other hand, it's just that people are surprised in a nice way because that's never even happened in their countries. So you gotta understand where they're coming from. We had the same sort of news here.

At first it made me angry because I thought it was racist but then I realized it was just that people were excited that a 'person of color' (I abhor this statement but anyway) could do it in the world's biggest democracy.

Also, it was a slap in the face of all the people who thought that America was going down with Bush. I say a pox on them anyway.

Hey one thing I didn't understand. You said, it wasn't right to say America's my favorite country. How come? )):