Saturday, January 10, 2009

Getting my groove on and Euphoria.

One of my websites I use simply for mucking around. It is currently driven by Euphoria, but I am contemplating toying around with Grails again.


Here is my junk yard.


First, what is Euphoria? Euphoria is a very simple language in the ALGOL/Basic family. It is simple and clean, yet it is also very powerful and very quick. The power comes in three ways. 1) It has a useful subset of libraries; 2) It has great list processing; and 3) it has access to low-level functions, usually reserved for assembly language. It is a language that very much reminds me of the DEC BLISS language (and I wonder if that is not what the creator was getting at? Euphoria <--> Bliss?) BLISS was like BASIC on steroids.


Anyway, I really enjoy Euphoria and have created a small "WWW" library to use with it, and am considering tying it into SQLite or MySQL in the near future, for database driven pages. Learn more at the Euphoria website.


Grails. What can be said? Rails implemented using the Groovy language. It rocks.


What is Groovy you ask? Groovy is a Java derivative. It takes Java and turns it into something much much more fun to use. There is nothing WRONG with Java, but Groovy is just more fun, and it turns Java into something more akin to Ruby or Python.


So here I am, wondering if I should not do some more of my planned work with Euphoria, or go back to playing with Grails, either would do nicely. What do you think?