Saturday, January 24, 2009

More on Windows 7

I am still using it, and it is going well so far.

I am still quite pleased with the performance, the appearance, and compatibility. The last version of Windows I ran at home (and run dual boot with OS X, or in Parallels) and the version we use at work is XP SP2.

All my games and applications, whether they are 32 bit or not, are working fine. And the look and feel is just great. Very pretty, very clean.

I also have my work applications running well. Apache, MySQL, PHP, OC4J, etc.

It's not all a bed of roses. On rare occasions, usually associated with a game, my NVIDIA graphics driver stops responding for a moment, and then restarts. Nothing is lost, the screen just freezes, goes black, comes back and Windows tells me there was a problem with the driver. That is a rare occurrence, but it is probably my own fault for updating the driver to the latest available from NVIDIA, overriding the one that Windows 7 installed. I chalk that up to a cutting edge, 64 bit driver on a beta 1 operating system.

I have been able to find 64 bit versions of firefox, apache, mysql, etc. I am, however, using Google Chrome as my primary browser.

So far the experience has been very good.

No comments: