Monday, August 27, 2018

Deepin - Because I like and adventure.

I wiped my MX Linux [v17] install in favor of Deepin [v15.7] today.  I wanted to get an idea what all the hype was.

The installation was straight forward, not many questions asked.  Once completed you boot into a gorgeous desktop.  I will say that at first glance Deepin has to be possibly the most beautiful desktop out there in linux-land.

That being said I did notice discrepancies that reminded me VERY MUCH of Windows 8 and Windows 10:  Web-based application fonts were not pretty, while desktop application fonts were nigh on perfect.

I will say that with MX Linux, fonts were consistent across all applications.

UI performance is slower (I guess to be expected with all the eye candy) than the XFCE MX Linux desktop.  Probably on par with a typical Gnome or KDE desktop.

Deepin has an app store, very much like Windows.  The problem with it is that even in "international" mode, it is slow.  If you select China... you might as well go watch a movie whenever you want to install or update software.  That being said, the store has quite a number of decent apps available to the user.

The file manager renders beautifully and has sensible defaults (like sorting folders first) but seems limited in how it can be configured.

All in all Deepin is a very pretty linux distribution which is now based on Debian (instead of Ubuntu, which is itself based on Debian) and has had some performance enhancements made to consume less power and less memory.

It is a fine distribution and wow, so pretty.  It is the type of distribution needed to lure Windows 10 and Mac OS X users into the world of linux-based operating systems.

No comments: