Saturday, November 9, 2019

MX Linux 19

Just to keep things fresh and frosty... I have reinstalled MX Linux (breaking my Windows 10 Installation in the process... oh well).

As it has always been, it is a fine distribution.  I ran into issues attempting to install as a reiser4 file system, so allowed it to shift to ext4.  That's fine, it just adds a little more stress to the SSD that is my system disk.

I got NVIDIA drivers and other non-free drivers installed right away (as MX makes it super simple to do) and even got liquorix kernel 5.3 installed... that did break my NVIDIA graphics but I just reinstalled with the latest version (when you activate NVIDIA it asks "The main version we have or another, newer version?"  Initially I selected the main version, so it was an older driver that did not jive with the kernel).

MX does a great job of populating its default theme throughout most apps.  My browsers, editors and other apps all have that same, grey-ish feeling.  I like it.

Xfce 4.14 is nice, visually nothing much is apparent but it does have some fresh options and integrations.  Reminds me, the newest default theme has fine borders around it now, making it easier to resize windows.  That was always a pain with MX.

Runs smoothly, all my favorite development and gaming applications work, it is snappy, customizable, just a great overall distribution.

No comments: