Friday, November 22, 2019

Zen kernel on Fedora 31 part 3

Tonight I booted back into normal kernel and immediately noticed the "lack of snappiness".  I wish I had a way of measuring this... because to the human eye it is actually very obvious that the Zen kernel I built and use is much more responsive (or at least gives you the impression it is) than the standard kernel.

It is probably because the standard kernel is geared toward more generic use, which could include server use... while the zen kernel is geared toward a desktop/single-user system.

Whatever the case may be, the difference is very obvious.

On a less favorable note, I don't know what happens whenever I update Fedora, but it seems to corrupt my grub boot process.  It happened today and I was certain I would have to rebuild, but I booted into Pop!_OS off of my thumb drive and it seemed to fix the problem, somehow.  When I then rebooted, grub did not fail and I was able to select my custom kernel and boot.  It is very strange.

No comments: