Friday, February 22, 2008

24 Inch iMac

My 2.4 GHz, 24 inch iMac arrived yesterday, along with its VESA adapter!

I am thrilled with it so far!  One thing I will say is the display is very bright.  I have the brightness almost on its lowest setting and the whites dazzle.  The speed is comparable to my Mac mini (which I had upgraded to 2.33 core 2 Duo), but in the graphics department the iMac blows the mini away.  For example, playing the game "Prey" on the mini with the graphics settings at all their lowest values, the game still stuttered and sputtered.  On the iMac, with the game at its highest settings across the board, it was smooth as silk.  I play on playing Civilization IV tonight.

My wife complains about my $150 Tactile Pro 2 keyboard so I decided to try the keyboard provided with the iMac (tho' I kept my wireless Kensington mouse).  This isn't a fair comparison because the Tactile Pro is simply a superior keyboard... the Apple keyboard is quiet, I'll give it that, and the keys do provide some feedback, but they are flat and featureless and I find myself having a time of determining where one key ends and another begins.  Still, it is only the first day of use so I suppose I should cut it some slack and give it a chance for a week or so.

I ordered a stock iMac.  Cheapest 24 inch I could get.  I bought a RAM upgrade from newegg.com (compare newegg.com's 4 GB of ram @ $116 versus Apple's $700).  It should arrive today.  I didn't bother upgrading the hard drive (not just yet anyway), keeping my external miniStack drive that contains my /Users path.  This makes for some slower disk access, but it is acceptable for now.  At some point I will probably pick up a 1TB drive when the prices come down a bit.

The iMac runs pretty hot.  I think most of the heat is generated by the screen itself.  There are a whole slew of temperature sensors in the iMac and iStat Menus catches them all.  The only other thing that I can say I have noticed is that the airport reception is MUCH better on the iMac than it was on the mini, but the mini's are notoriousy bad.

So, to sum it up the differences between my mini and the new imac:

1. Super bright, large screen
2. Good graphic performance
3. Good airport performance
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: