Thursday, February 14, 2008

Next computer upgrade

I have had my mini for 2 years now and it has served me well.

I would like to keep it, and pass it along to my son now.  I am looking at the new iMac 24 inch all-in-one computers.  It looks to be a slick machine, a pinch faster than my mini with much better graphics and to me, even better, a much larger viewing area.  My tired eyes could use it.  The beauty of the iMac 24 is that it too can be mounted on a VESA arm (with a mounting kit).  It will fit perfectly into my small office space right where I have the monitor for my mini now.

The iMac has built in web cam, core 2 duo processors, can hold up to 4GB of ram...  I am ordering the base version and will purchase my own RAM (4 GB on newegg.com) and I might also purchase a 700+ GB hard drive.  Not sure yet.  Maybe just get a 500, or maybe leave it be and use my current external drive with it.

It should be a computer I can use for a few more years.

My current computer's specs:

Mac mini
2.33 core 2 duo
160 GB SATA (2.5") Internal
500 GB Firewire (3.5") External
2 GB RAM
64 MB VRAM (Shared) Intel Video
21.5 inch Dell flatscreen monitor w/hubs

The iMac would top it out a little, mostly in video processing because it has a card that supports more graphic operations with 256 MB of dedicated VRAM.  It also has a standard sized hard drive with SATA 2 I believe, whereas the Mini really functions at SATA 1 speed.

But a 24" monitor will be very very nice indeed.  :)

No comments: