Thursday, February 14, 2008

Trouble in paradise

For the most part Mac OS X is a solid, stable operating system.  Leopard, while being pretty slick and generally better than Tiger, has at least one serious fault for me:  Mail.

Mail.app has been fraught with problems since Leopard was released.  It has been updated with .1 and .2 but neither have fixed the disappearing messages problem for me, even after deleting my preferences and starting from scratch.

It is very annoying, but I have a fallback.  In the early years when Mail was (again) suffering from a lack of attention, I switched to GyazMail.  GyazMail has never let me down.  It just works.  It isn't flashy, but it works.

I've written about this twice now, but this is a big issue to me.  If you can't get one ubiquitous application to work and work right for everyone, what on Earth are you thinking?  Why was it released?  Ah well.  I just won't bother using it, despite some of the nice, new features.

There is another problem with Leopard.  In Apple's effort to tighten up Mac OS X, they have really made it difficult for some older applications to function properly.  Sometimes it seems as if they do not want 3rd Party developers to succeed.  Their development system is great, but they hide methods that Finder (for example) uses that would be great for other applications.

(Problems with PathFinder, Haxies, etc.)

No comments: